Thursday, February 10, 2011

WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Last night's dinner was BEEF WITH RED WINE GRAVY. As I have said in  another post we are trying really hard to include less red meat in our diet. This dish includes lean stew meat but not a lot per serving and it is very satisfying; almost a comfort food. It made the "make it again" list so I am posting the recipe. I found the recipe in SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS.
BEEF WITH RED WINE GRAVY
3 lbs. beef stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes (I only used half that much meat)
1 lb. medium fresh mushrooms-halved (I omit this since the hubby doesn't like them)
1 med. onion-sliced, 1 can (10 1/2 oz.) condensed beef broth undiluted,
1 c. dry red wine (I used what I had on hand YELLOWTAIL PINOT NOIR)
1 envelope brown gravy mix(low sodium if you can find it)
2 tbsp. tomato paste(no salt added), 1/4 tsp. salt(I omit), 1 bay leaf, 1/4 c. cornstarch, 1/4 c. cold water
Hot cooked egg noodles
Place the beef, mushrooms, and onion in a 5 qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl combine the broth, wine, gravy mix, tomato paste, salt and bay leaf. Pour over the top.
Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf. Combine cornstarch amd water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook on high for 15 min. or until thickened. Serve with noodles.
I served this with steamed broccoli. A salad would be yummy as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment