Tuesday, February 8, 2011

LET'S TALK TURKEY!

One of the healthy food changes "The Hubby" and I have tried to make is to limit the amount of red meat we eat, especially ground beef. It has been awhile since I tried recipes with ground turkey because they basically tasted like cardboard the first time I tried them. I did a little research and found an amazing recipe for TURKEY AND BEAN CHILI. The last time I served it to guests they asked for the recipe! That tells it for me so I share it with you today!
TURKEY AND BEAN CHILI
1 c. chopped red onion, 1/3 c. chopped seeded poblano pepper (about 1) -I omit this
1 tsp. bottled minced garlic, 11/4 lbs. ground turkey (I use the kind with the lowest fat content)
1 tbsp. chili powder, 2 tbsp. tomato paste, 2 tsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt(I omit), 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 (19ou.) can cannelini beans-rinsed and drained
1(14ou.) can diced tomatoes(I use no-salt added), 1(14ou.) can fat free,low sodium chicken broth
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1st 4 ingredients; cook for 6 min. or until the turkey is done, stirring frequently to crumble. Stir in chili powder and next 8 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min. Can be served with chopped cilantro and lime wedges. I haven't used those. I usually garnish with shredded cheese.
This recipe came from myrecipes.com.

Tonight's menu includes PECAN-CRUSTED TURKEY CUTLETS. I will include the recipe in tomorrow's post along with the verdict from "The Hubby".

No comments:

Post a Comment