Thursday, January 19, 2012

THIRSTY THURSDAY

Since I received a new COOKING LIGHT cookbook for Christmas I am reading through it and using recipes from it. I really like to do that when I get a new cookbook because it gives me an overview and lets me try some new dishes. I invest in some "skinny" sticky notes in bright colors and mark the recipes I definitely want to try as I read through the book. I designate a different color for each type of recipe-ex: pink-sweets, green-veggie dishes,yellow-main dishes etc. This saves me time when I go back to the book later looking for something to make. Today's recipes give some new choices for warm Winter drinks.
HOT MOCHA
6 c. hot strong brewed coffee
1/2 c. sugar (I think Splenda would work)
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
6 tbsp. Kahlua (coffee flavored liqueur)
Combine all ingredients except Kahlua in a medium saucepan. Cook coffee mixture over medium heat until hot; stirring frequently-do not boil. Remove coffee mixture from heat.
YIELD: 13 (1/2 c.) servings

HOT CHOCOLATE WITH GINGER
1/3 c. chopped, peeled fresh ginger
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. water
4 c. 1% reduced-fat milk
1/2 c. fat-free chocolate syrup
Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves and is golden (about 1-2 minutes), stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
Stir in milk and chocolate syrup; cook over medium-low heat 13 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently (do not boil) Strain milk mixture through a sieve; discard solids.
YIELD: 4 (3/4c.)servings

No comments:

Post a Comment