Friday, January 13, 2012

FRIDAY'S FAMILY FAVORITE

Brrrr! It's January in East Tennessee and the weather is CHILLY! Did someone say CHILI?  Today I post some of my favorite chili recipes (just for you Susan G., even though I'll bet none will be as good as your Dad's). 
My most recent favorite belongs to Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman). I love her cookbook and her website.

SIMPLE PERFECT CHILI
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper(optional)
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 lbs. ground beef
one 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt (I omit)
1/4 c. masa (corn flour, found in the Mexican section of the market-if your market doesn't have it you may leave it out. It serves as a thickener and adds a corn taste)
Optional ingredients: I add all of these
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 jalepeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 can diced tomatoes and chilies (Rotel)
FOR SERVING: Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, Fritos. I also love to serve with cornbread

Brown ground beef in a large pot with the garlic. Drain off excess fat. Add tomato sauce, spices and salt. Stir together well, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry add water 1/2 c. at a time as needed. (I always add water because I don't like it too thick). After an hour place the masa in a small bowl. Add 1/2 c. water and stir with a fork. Dump the masa mixture into the chili. Stir together well and add any optional ingredients. Stir together and simmer 10 more minutes. This freezes really well. Freeze in individual servings for a quick, warming lunch.

The next is my favorite recipe with turkey. Although, now, I substitute turkey for beef  no matter what recipe I'm using.

TURKEY AND BEAN CHILI
1 c. chopped red onion
1/3 c. chopped, seeded Poblano pepper (about1)
1 tsp. bottled, minced garlic
1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt (I omit)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 (19oz.) can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I use no-salt added)
1 (14oz.) can, fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
6 lime wedges (I don't use the last two ingredients)

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add first 4 ingredients; cook for 6 min. or until turkey is done, stirring frequently to crumble. Stir in chili powder and next 8 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 min. Stir in cilantro, if desired and garnish with lime wedges.


The next recipe is my favorite Vegetarian chili. I've made it for years and the recipe is from Cooking Light Magazine. I still prefer my chili with lots of meat and beans but this one is delicious.

VEGETARIAN CHILI
2 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. chopped red bell pepper
3/4 c. chopped green bell pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1 (16.oz.)can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15. oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15oz,) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
5 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Place a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and peppers and saute 10 min. or until tender. Add garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add chili powder and next 6 ingredients (chili powder through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 min. or until thoroughly heated. Ladle into soup bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
YIELD: 5 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment