Thursday, January 12, 2012

THIRSTY THURSDAY

In keeping with the "warm your insides" theme I am printing today's recipe that came in my email from Taste of Home Magazine. The juices are healthy and I think you might substitute cranberry juice for a different twist if you want a change up. The last time I made spiced cider I didn't have any cheesecloth so I just dumped the spices in and then when the mix had cooked long enough I poured it through a strainer and it worked just fine. I do like the idea of skipping that step though.

SPICED APPLE-GRAPE JUICE
4 c. white grape juice
3 c. unsweetened apple juice
1 c. water
2 cinnamon sticks
12 whole cloves
8 whole allspice

In a large saucepan, combine the grape juice, apple juice and water. Place the spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1 1/2 hours or until flavors are blended. Discard spice bag. Serve warm in mugs.
YIELD:8 servings

I really enjoy a nice glass of wine and am always up for a winery visit and tasting when we travel. I must print this recipe for my friends who are also vino fans. I haven't tried it but it sounds intriguing and definitely falls under the "warm your insides" category! 

SANGRIA WINE
1 bottle(750 milliliters) dry red wine
1 c. lemon-flavored rum
2 cans (12 oz. each) lemon-lime soda, chilled
2 medium lemons, sliced
2 medium limes, sliced
Ice cubes (yes, cold drinks can warm your insides!)
In a pitcher,combine the wine, rum, and soda; add lemon and lime slices. Serve over ice.
YIELD: 10 servings: 5 for me and some to share ;>)

No comments:

Post a Comment