Monday, January 2, 2012

MEATLESS MONDAY

Since this is my first post of 2012 I will have to begin with some cooking goals (not resolutions) for the new year. Santa was generous this year and brought a Kitchenaid food processor; now I must learn to use it and include it in my daily meals. We continue our goal to eat healthy by cutting red meat and adding vegetables and fruit. Portion control will be an addition to that healthy eating goal. I'm putting away the large plates we have and using salad plates on a regular basis. I want to continue my habit of making a menu and a weekly grocery list from it and sticking to the list when I shop. A fresh seafood market is scheduled to come to our town soon and I intend to visit it on a regular basis to increase the amount of fish in our diet. I will continue to include local fresh produce in our meals and hope to increase the amount and variety. I plan to purge my recipe collection and add more healthy choices. I received a COOKING LIGHT cookbook for Christmas and that should be a marvelous resource. Being retired makes it difficult for me to stay on a regular meal schedule. This year I plan to work at eating the evening meal earlier and adding a couple of healthy snacks during the day. We have found that a regular meal schedule helps keep the Hubby's blood sugar in check. I'm sure as the year progresses I will add new goals as the need arises but for now I'll be doing well to work on these few.
Today's recipe is another from MISS MARY BOBO'S BOARDING HOUSE COOKBOOK. I fixed it yesterday as part of the traditional New Year's Day menu. I was able to use the ham hock left over from the Christmas Honey-Baked ham (not the healthiest thing in the refrigerator, but delish). When I fix this recipe on a regular day I will omit the ham. The red pepper flakes really add a zing!

SOUTHERN GREENS AND POT LIKKER 
1 ham hock (or 4 strips bacon, or 2 oz. diced salt pork)
2 c. water
1 pound turnip greens (or mustard or collards) I used collards.
1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced and quartered (I omitted these)


In a large pan combine the ham hocks and water. Bring the water to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours, adding water to maintain 2 cups.(If using bacon or salt pork, fry in heavy saucepan until crisp. remove the bacon or salt pork from the drippings. add water to the rendered fat.)

While the ham hocks cook, wash the greens, removing stems and discarding any limp, wilted, or blemished leaves. Tear into pieces.

Skim the fat from the ham hock liquid. Remove the hocks and cut meat into small pieces. Discard the skin and bones. Return the meat to the liquid and add the dried red pepper flakes.

Place the greens in the pan (as the greens wilt press them down and add more until all greens are in the pan).
Cover and simmer over low heat for 25-35 min.

Greens may be served drained with the pot likker served in a gravy boat on the table or serve greens in the pot likker. (we did the latter) It's great with cornbread!

Garnish the greens with sliced or quartered hard-boiled eggs. Pepper sauce or a vinegar cruet should be placed on the table. 
YIELD: 8-10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment