Friday, May 11, 2012

FRIDAY'S FAMILY FAVORITE

There's nothing quite so comforting as meatloaf and mashed potatoes and green beans. It's always a family favorite. Today's recipe is from my newest cookbook SUNDAY IN THE SOUTH by Ginny McCormack. I'm really enjoying reading it and trying out some new recipes. I may be the only person in the world who "reads" cookbooks. It's a hobby of mine. This recipe will make plenty for leftover meatloaf sandwiches or freezing for another day.

SOUTHERN HOME STYLE MEATLOAF WITH SWEET CHILI GLAZE
2 lbs. ground chuck
1 lb. milk pork sausage
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2c. breadcrumbs
1 bottle chili sauce
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 350
In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck and Italian sausage. Add the next 5 ingredients. 
In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs and milk together and then add them to the meat mixture.
 Add the breadcrumbs.
 Using your hands, mix until combined.
 Place into a shallow baking pan and shape into a loaf.
 Pour 1/2 c. of the chili sauce over the meatloaf and reserve the rest.
 Bake for 60-70 minutes. Let rest 10-15 minutes before cutting. 
Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve with remaining glaze.
Makes 8-10 servings
*Once I've made this recipe I will probably change it a little to make it "lighter'. I might use a combination of lean ground turkey and lean ground beef. I will omit the salt and use skim milk. I might use Italian Turkey sausage. I probably will not skimp on the chili sauce however, instead I may omit the glaze on half the meatloaf or make 2 loaves, one with and one without glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment