Tuesday, December 6, 2011

TUESDAY'S TREAT

As reported last week, my Bible study group, The Journey Women, came to  lunch. It was a real treat for me to plan the menu, set the table, and serve my friends. I've always loved cooking and entertaining but I never seemed to really have enough time to do what I wanted. Now that I'm retired I have time to plan and prepare and it makes it so much more satisfying! I've learned a few things in the process. 
Here are a few hints that have helped me:
  • Plan the menu ahead of time with your guests in mind.
  • Choose some things that can be prepared ahead and either frozen or refrigerated.
  • Decide ahead of time what serving pieces you will need.
  • List your tasks for each day leading up to the occasion including the day of. Don't be afraid to list small details.
  • Set the table beforehand so that guests can be served and then be seated easily.
  • Have drink choices easily accessible so that guests can serve themselves.
The menu for our luncheon included 2 types of quiche-veggie and ham, spinach salad, fruit salad, miniature bran muffins, hot spiced cider, coffee, miniature cheesecakes, and a goody bag with peanut butter balls to take home. Today's recipe was our dessert. It is a treat that I have made for years. It can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, is easy to make and serve, and is pretty as well as tasty!

MINIATURE CHEESECAKES
2 (8oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sugar
1 can cherry pie filling (I used sugar-free)
Vanilla Wafers
Beat softened cream cheese,eggs,vanilla, and sugar together for 5 minutes. Put vanilla wafer in cupcake liner, top with mixture and bake at 350 for 10 min. Cool. Chill pie filling and cheesecakes for 30 min. Top with cherries before serving.
YIELD: 2-3 dozen 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment