Wednesday, December 7, 2011

CROCKPOT WEDNESDAY

This week I tried a slow-cooker recipe from the November issue of FOOD NETWORK MAGAZINE. This magazine has become my 2nd favorite of all the magazines I subscribe to. SOUTHERN LIVING remains my all-time favorite. I happened to have a bag of barley in the pantry left-over from a soup recipe so I decided this was a perfect way to use it and try something a little different at the same time. The Hubby declared it a winner; so I will be making it again. Whenever I use beef I try to limit the amount and this recipe only calls for 1 1/4 pound.

SLOW-COOKER BEEF AND BARLEY
1 1/4 lb. boneless beef chuck (in one piece) My grocer didn't carry a roast this small so I halved it and froze the other half for another day
1 c. pearl barley
1/2 lb. cremini mushrooms, quartered (I omitted since the hubby doesn't do mushrooms)
4 stalks celery, quartered
6 medium carrots, quartered
2 medium leeks, sliced (white and green parts only) I used half an onion since I forgot to look for leeks at the grocery
1 sprig of thyme
4 c. low-sodium beef broth
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Horseradish,for serving (optional) I tried Horseradish on mine but I did not like it.
Combine all ingredients in a slow-cooker. Add 1 c. water, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cover and cook on low, undisturbed, for 8 hours.
Uncover and skim off excess fat. Transfer the beef to a cutting board, let cool slightly and slice or shred by hand into bite-size pieces. Thin the vegetable-barley mixture in the slow-cooker with some water, if desired. Divide among shallow bowls and top with beef. Serve with horseradish, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment