Tuesday, September 27, 2011

TUESDAY'S TREAT

I am the first to admit that baking is not my forte, especially baking cookies. They invariably turn out too dry and hard because I tend to cook them too long. I'm working on that and sometimes I get decent results if I really work at it. I found the recipe for these cookies on the lid of the Quaker oatmeal box. We try to eat oatmeal three or four times a week since fiber is an important part of a healthy diet. This recipe just sounded good so I ventured out to try cookies once more. I was successful! The cookies were moist, and chewy and they stayed that way when stored. So today I share this recipe with all you "real" bakers out there and hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

VANISHING OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
1/2 c.( 1 stick) plus 6 tbsp. butter, softened
3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar (you may use Splenda if you choose)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
3 c. Quaker oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 c. raisins (I had golden ones on hand and they worked fine) I'm going to try Craisins next time.
I also added about 1/2 c. chopped pecans
  1. Heat oven to 350. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla-beat well
  3. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt-mix well.
  4. Add oats and raisins-mix well
  5. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  6. Bake 8-10 min. or until light golden brown. Cool 1 min. on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered. 
Makes about 4 dozen cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment