Saturday, September 24, 2011

SOUPER SATURDAY

It's that time of year when I start to crave soup. It warms your "innards" and satisfies your comfort food cravings. Usually I just put together my own version of Veggie Soup which turns out a little different each time I make it. The base is sauteed onion, garlic, and celery. Then I usually add a large carton of chicken broth, a large can of tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce, next a can of kidney beans (drained),and 2 pkg. frozen soup mix (I love the one that includes okra). After it simmers slowly for awhile I usually add some form of pasta (something I have leftover in cabinet) and let it cook until the pasta is done. I use my largest pot and enjoy the soup for a few days after. Actually I think it's better warmed over. It also freezes well.
Today I will share another soup recipe that I tried this week.It is hearty and delicious! This one came from TASTE OF HOME. I recommend it as an excellent magazine.

VEGETABLE CHICKEN SOUP
1 large sweet onion
1 c. sliced baby portobello mushrooms (I left these out)
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. chopped sweet red pepper
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
5 garlic cloves-minced
3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts- cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 can (49 1/2 oz) chicken broth
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes-undrained
2 medium carrots- cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 c. medium pearl barley (I have no idea if the barley I used was "medium" but it worked just fine)
1 3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt (I omit the salt)

  • In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic , cook 1 minute longer.
  • Transfer to a 5 qt. slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and barley are tender. My slow cooker was too small so I had to cook it on top of the stove in a large pot simmering slowly.
YIELD: 7 servings 1 1/2 cup= 212 calories, 6 g. fat (2 g sat.) 36 mg cholesterol, 1,236 mg sodium-use no sodium broth and tomatoes and omit salt  and this will be much lower., 27 carbs., 6 g. fiber, 15 g. protein

No comments:

Post a Comment