Friday, September 30, 2011

FAMILY FAVORITES FRIDAY

As I said earlier this week we will be attending two family reunions this weekend (the Shinpaugh-my Mom's family, and the Herron-my Dad's clan). Today's recipe is new to me (imagine that) and I'm taking it to both reunions because it sounded like a perfect main dish to transport. I needed something I could prepare ahead and refrigerate then bake the morning of and transport, something that had simple, family friendly ingredients, and something that we would enjoy as leftovers (hopefully there won't be any). I found this dish in one of my Paula Deen magazines. In her article she writes that it is a favorite of Katy Mixon, her son Bobby's wife. I hope your family will enjoy it too!

FAMILY-STYLE CHICKEN DIVAN
1 medium-size head of broccoli
3 c. diced cooked chicken (I'm using canned chicken to make it faster)
1 (10 3/4oz) can cream of chicken soup (use reduced sodium)
1/4 c. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp.ground black pepper
1/3 c. bread crumbs or crushed crackers
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. butter or margarine melted
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 13x9 baking pan.
  2. Steam broccoli until crisp tender. Place broccoli florets in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle chicken over broccoli.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine soup, mayo., water, lemon juice, curry powder, and pepper. Pour over chicken and broccoli.
  4. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, and melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over casserole. Bake for 25-30 min. or until golden brown and bubbly.
Makes 8-10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment