Wednesday, September 28, 2011

CROCKPOT WEDNESDAY

Yesterday I tried a new recipe in my trusty crockpot. It was a real hit so I'll share it here today!

SAVORY MUSHROOM AND HERB PORK ROAST
2 medium onions, chopped
12 fresh baby carrots (I just dumped about 1/2 a bag in)
1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3-4 lbs.) I used a pork tenderloin almost 2 lbs.
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (try to get the "healthy" version with less salt etc.
3/4 c. chicken broth
1 can (4 oz.) mushroom stems and pieces, drained (I deleted this. The hubby doesn't do m.rooms)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. cold water
French-fried onions, optional

Place onions and carrots in a 5 qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; add to slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine soup, broth, mushrooms, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, marjoram and pepper; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender
Remove pork to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a large saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 min. or until thickened. (I omitted this step because the gravy was already thick enough to suit me and we don't typically add gravy anyway).
Serve pork with gravy. Sprinkle with French Fried onions if desired. (I did not to save calories and fat)

I served this with some fresh steamed asparagus doused with fresh lemon juice. The recipes suggested noodles or mashed potatoes which I'm sure would be yummy! (Too many carbs)
 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment