Tuesday, July 16, 2013

TASTY TUESDAY

This past weekend we enjoyed lunch and an afternoon visit with friends.As usual, I made a couple of things I had not tried before. I always like to have choices when it comes to dessert. Both recipes are easy. One is a little sweeter than the other but the sweeter one is in individual portions. They both turned out great and could be prepared a day ahead. I raided my "desserts" file for both. The first is from a 2010 issue of SOUTHERN LIVING and the second from a 2001 issue of QUICK COOKING.

COCONUT CREAM TARTS
Whisk together 3/4 c. sugar, 1/3 c. all-purpose flour, 4 large eggs, and 2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 10 minutes or until a chilled pudding-like thickness. Remove from heat; stir in 1 c. flaked, sweetened coconut and 1 tbsp. vanilla extract. Cover and chill 6-24 hours. Bake 1(8oz.) package frozen tart shells according to package directions, and cool completely. Spoon custard into tart shells. Dollop with sweetened whipped cream (I used fat-free Cool Whip); sprinkle with additional coconut. 

CREAMY LEMONADE PIE
1 can evaporated milk (I used fat-free)
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) instant lemon pudding mix (I used sugar free)
2 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz. each), softened (I used fat-free)
3/4 c. lemonade concentrate
1 graham cracker crust
 In a mixing bowl, combine milk and pudding mix; beat on low speed for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). In another mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Gradually beat in lemonade concentrate. Gradually beat in pudding mixture. Pour into crust. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment