Saturday, February 18, 2012

SOUPER SATURDAY

A couple of weeks ago we had a very busy weekend and needed to have something healthy on hand for lunch. I wanted soup but, as usual, I was bored with my usual recipes and searched for a new one (imagine that). I found this one in my "soup" file and it is delicious. It is the perfect make-ahead dish. I made it and refrigerated it the day before, then popped it in the crockpot on low on Saturday morning and it was ready to eat by lunchtime. It lasts up to five days in the refrigerator and can be frozen up to four months. It would be great frozen in individual servings and removed and microwaved  for a quick and healthy meal (lots of veggies).

MINESTRONE SOUP
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/3 lb. green beans (about 1 1/2 c.) I I used frozen french cut green beans.
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (I omitted the salt and just used the pepper I had on hand)
1 28 oz. can no-salt added diced tomatoes
1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
6 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 15oz. can low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 elbow pasta (I used whole wheat)
1/3 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil ( did not use)

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the celery and carrot and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. 

Stir in green beans, dried oregano and basil, 3/4 tsp. salt and pepper to taste; cook 3 more minutes.

Add the diced and crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the kidney beans and pasta and cook until the pasta and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan and chopped basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment