Monday, February 20, 2012

MEATLESS MONDAY

Usually on Meatless Monday I post some main dish for dinner. Today I chose to post a breakfast item because I think it is an excellent idea, not only to use every day, but also to make ahead, put in containers and give to friends and relatives. Oatmeal is another one of the healthiest foods you can put in your mouth. I detest the instant varieties and that makes this recipe even more appealing. I also love the fact that other dried fruits such as apricots, cherries or raisins can be substituted for the dried apples. The recipe came to me from tasteofhome.com. 

APPLE-CINNAMON OATMEAL MIX
6 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/3 c. nonfat dry milk powder
1 c. dried apples, diced
1/4 c. sugar (I'll bet you could substitute Splenda)
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt (I will omit)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT FOR EACH SERVING:
1/2 c. water
  • In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.Yield 8 cups total.
  • To prepare oatmeal: Shake mix well. In a small saucepan bring water to a boil; slowly stir in 1/2 cup mix. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 1 minute or until oatmeal reaches desired consistency. Yield: 1 serving

No comments:

Post a Comment