Sunday, February 5, 2012

SEAFOOD SUNDAY

I love shrimp but we don't eat it very often. I like it fried, grilled, in salads, as part of a shrimp cocktail or just about any way you can serve it up. I especially like fresh steamed shrimp at the beach. I could eat my weight in them! Today's recipe is for paella, which gets it's name from the dish in which it is traditionally prepared- a shallow two-handled pan that's about 13 inches in diameter. I found the recipe in TASTE OF HOME'S HEALTHY COOKING. I definitely plan to try it next time we have someone over for dinner. I'm afraid if I cook it just for us I'll "pig-out" and eat way more than I should. 

HEARTY PAELLA
1 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 c. uncooked long grain rice (I will probably use brown rice)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/4 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained (I will use no-salt added)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. salt (I omit)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp saffron threads
1/8 tsp. ground tumeric
1 lb. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 c. frozen peas
12 pimento-stuffed olives
1 medium lemon, cut into 6 wedges
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add rice and onion to the pan; cook until rice is lightly browned and onion is tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, saffron, and tumeric, Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the shrimp, peas, and olives. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until rice is tender, shrimp turns pink and liquid is absorbed. Serve with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment