Friday, November 9, 2012

FRIDAY'S FAMILY FAVORITE

Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. I know very few people who dislike it and very few people who make it from scratch. I have tried lots of recipes but have yet to find one that really pleases me. I only make it for special occasions since we try to watch carbs and calories. I believe Thanksgiving would be special enough! I just may add this recipe to the menu. It comes from the newest addition to my cookbook library(courtesy of my sister) SOUTHERN LIVING'S COOKING FOR CHRISTMAS.

CLASSIC BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE
2 c. milk
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1(10oz.) block extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided(it is recommended to shred your own cheese for a creamier texture)
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper(optional)
1/2(16oz.) package elbow macaroni, cooked
Preheat oven to 400. Microwave milk at high for 1 1/2 minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
Whisk in salt, black pepper, 1 c. shredded cheese,and, if desired, red pepper until smooth; stir in pasta.
Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2 qt. baking dish; top with remaining cheese. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment